HOME > Chowhound > Cheese >
Do you create unique foods? Get great advice
TELL US

Gran Parano - is it moldy or normal???

c
carolee1945 Jan 29, 2013 11:18 AM

I bought this gran parano cheese at Costco; it is unusual and I like it. However, every now and then (not in every bite) I get a definite mold taste. Is this normal? Should I take the cheese back? I never have eaten this type before. Is this the correct place to post this question? I am new. Thanks.

  1. jen kalb Jan 30, 2013 01:27 PM

    grana padano should not be moldy. if you leave it sitting arround in your refrig like any cheese it may develop some mold on the surface.

    if its fresh bought from costco and has a moldy flavor, I would take it back.

    1. jupiter Jan 29, 2013 10:34 PM

      Do you mean "grana padano?"
      The costco 2 year aged grana should be salty and crystaline and have an almost nutty flavor for a parmesan hard cheese type. Even close to the rind it should not have a moldy flavor as the rinds are great to flavor stocks with.
      "Parrano" cheese, on the other hand, is a dutch cheese and should taste like a creamier version of an aged gouda. (I haven't seen it for sale at my costco, but that doesnt mean any thing...)
      Either way, neither of these cheeses are washed rind cheeses, so neither should have a moldy taste anywhere through the cheese, so i would take it back and get another one. Both are exceptionally great and a great price for the quality from costco.

      1 Reply
      1. re: jupiter
        c
        carolee1945 Jan 30, 2013 05:22 AM

        Yes, I meant grana padano. It truly is an exquisite taste, and I wonder if there is something wrong with me that every now and then I get a moldy taste. I looked at it, I don't see any mold.

      2. c
        cheesemaestro Jan 29, 2013 06:20 PM

        Costco will take it back, no questions. If you think it tastes moldy, regardless of whether it actually is moldy, by all means, return it.

        1. Robert Lauriston Jan 29, 2013 11:22 AM

          I don't think any cheese should ever taste moldy unless maybe there's a funky bit of rind that should have been cut off.

          1 Reply
          1. re: Robert Lauriston
            c
            carolee1945 Jan 29, 2013 12:02 PM

            Yes, that is what I think. I ate some too close to the rind, and it definitely tasted moldy. Since it seems to be hit or miss, I will try cutting it further from the rind. It is really delicious, actually!!!

          Show Hidden Posts