HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
What are you cooking today? Share your food adventure

Pepperidge Farm Bread/English Tea Loaf

dickgrub Jan 29, 2013 09:58 AM

One of the very few commercially available baked products I've ever had which could be said to be Delicious, was Pepperidge Farm Bread. Back in the fifties...yumm, a faint sweetness that came out particularly when toasted. Even after Campbells bought PF, the bread was pretty darn good. I've searched and searched for a recipe, and -O-. The packaging carried the subtitle, An English Tea Loaf, and I've searched for that as well: -O-. Does anyone out there have a recipe or a clue?

  1. l
    LJS Jan 29, 2013 11:24 AM

    Gosh, I remember that PF bread, too...I have seen magazine ads for some Hawaiian sweet loaf/buns and wondered if that was the same? That particular brand is not sold in (my part of) Canada so I hope others will answer.

    Sorry, no recipe, though the phrase English Tea Loaf conjures up a slimmer, shorter, slightly denser version of Wonderbread in my mind!!!

    1. goodhealthgourmet Jan 29, 2013 11:37 AM

      Track down a copy of the Margaret Rudkin Pepperidge Farm Cookbook from 1963. She was the founder of PF and created that bread - perhaps one of the recipes in the book is close...maybe this one?

      1 Reply
      1. re: goodhealthgourmet
        dickgrub Jan 29, 2013 01:22 PM

        GoodIdea, GoodHealth; went to ABE.com and snagged me a copy for $3.75; my guess is 90% chance Margie would not include a recipe for her # 1 selling item; but the other 10% was worth $3.75.

      Show Hidden Posts