HOME > Chowhound > Food Media & News >

Discussion

I had no idea immersion blenders were so dangerous!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/din...

Seems that no small amount of stupidity is going around

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. Look for the kitchen war injuries thread -- loads of discussion about this very article.

    And a reminder that tools cut whatever is presented to them -- be that nuts or cheese or fingers.

    1. I did the same thing. Luckily I only needed a few stitches though.

      1. I was wondering how far along it woud take before the article got to the lawyers. It is a sharp spinning blade. How can you not know it can hurt you? If you know it has a sensitive switch, why would you not unplug it? I swear humans are out on the edge of a dead end limb of the evolutionary tree.

        Odd, I cut my index finger to the bone and it did not occur to me to sue Henkels.

        6 Replies
        1. re: RC51Mike

          Sad isn't it. Don't climb a ladder, you could fall off....where does it end

            1. re: 4X4

              When I was a lazy teen, I did periodically iron clothing while I was wearing them. Peasant type skirts were in style. Never got burned, however, though I realized at the time it was a possiblity.

              1. re: tcamp

                Just make sure not to use the steam option.

                  1. re: LulusMom

                    I'm late on this one, but I worked in a fashionable clothes shop in the UK back in the mid-90s. The young woman who did the window staging for the shop came into the break room one day wearing a deep cut blouse, she was sporting a bright red triangular burn visible in the deep v-cut of said blouse. When asked by a colleague what had happened she said she was ironing her blouse, while wearing it, and burned herself. The part that made it so memorable was, she admitted, it wasn't the first time she'd done it to herself.

          1. I generally don't use my immersion blender for anything thick/sticky/doughy for that very reason. If I do find that I need to scrape food off the blades, I unplug, disassemble, then use a chop stick or plastic knife to scrape.

            1. That was a wierd article. I've used my IB for many years without managing to injure myself. I found myself wondering, while reading, what exactly this folks did to incur wounds? Push the ON button while cleaning blade? Moving their fingers into the path of the blade? What about battery operated IBs? Are people also managing to self inflict wounds with those?

              Stay tuned for the dire emergencies caused by cheese graters.

              2 Replies
              1. re: tcamp

                When I did it, I was cleaning a big hunk of pear out of the blades. I hadn't unplugged it and accidentally hit the ON button. Clearly not the smartest move in the world.

                1. re: tcamp

                  Thanks for speaking up, t. That article definitely flunks the smell test.