HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >


What is this called?

Help! I'm blanking on a word and Google isn't helping me. What do you call a crisped piece of bread on which you place sliced steak or chicken to serve? I want to say that it's a crouton, but all the definitions I'm finding call a crouton those cubes you put on salad.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: pikawicca

      Pika, doesn't en croute mean to wrap the meat in a crust? I should say, dough.

      1. re: Gio

        "En croute" means what you've said. Simple "croute" is a piece of toasted bread, usually round.

    2. Are you thinking or Rusk, Crostini, or Bruschetta? Filet mignon is sometimes served on a crouton...as in "Filet Mignon Rossini".

          1. re: grampart

            With your most snooty French accent?

          2. I think pikawicca's got it --

            "croute (KROOT) - In French the word means "crust." (1) It is the French culinary name for round or oval pieces of stale bread fried in butter (or any other fat). They are used as a foundation upon which all manner of fish, meat, and vegetables preparations are served either as hors d' oeuvres, canap├ęs, or for garnishings. (2) Also the name of thin slices of stale crusty bread, toasted or not, which are added to some soups at the time of serving."

            5 Replies
            1. re: blue room

              OK... in Italian it would be "crostino". Plural crostini... same thing as croute...

              1. re: Gio

                Glad to see that you didn't call the plural as would be in South Philly...crostinis. Plurals in South Philly are raviolis, paninis, cannolis, spaghettis...yada, yada, yada.

                1. re: ChiliDude

                  Earlier today I caught myself questioning the accuracy of pluralizing cheese. Though cheeses is correct, I was more comfortable writing "those cheese", which now seems incorrect. :-)

                  1. re: Custardly

                    ...or as in "I hate those meeses to pieces"

              2. re: blue room

                That sounds like what I mean. Thanks. I knew the Hounds would come up with this one quickly.

              3. I'd call it a crouton, if I was using a classic catering term. Or, if not, I'd call it fried bread.

                As Gio notes above, Tournedos Rossini, for example, are served on a crouton

                1. Once you put stuff on it, it's called a crostini. If t is plane.... probably ...toast.

                  2 Replies
                    1. re: Hank Hanover

                      What has a flying machine to do with this discussion?

                    2. An open-faced sandwich?

                        1. Holland Rusk. My mother was a server at a country club (over 30 years), she always referred to Holland Rusk as the proper way to plate a steak. It is rather tasty, the hard biscuit like texture soaks up the juices nicely.

                          1 Reply
                          1. re: kpaumer

                            That is a brand name, not the generic name for the croute or crouton, or crostini, or toast, depending on the language.

                              1. re: knucklesandwich

                                toast points have points. the one in question is round.

                                1. re: knucklesandwich

                                  That was what I was going to say too.