Recommendation for tomorrow night - Your thoughts very appreciated!
I'd really appreciate your ideas for tomorrow night, Tuesday 1/8. I'm clearly late in planning this, so help me punt and come up with something good!
Here's what I'm working with:
- I'm visiting NYC for work and am meeting up with my parents (also visiting, flying from JFK on Wednesday) and my cousin.
- We'd like to do dinner together, knowing that everyone has big days on Wednesday, so we need to keep it early.
- We're staying in Chinatown (Henry St), but I know my parents do not want Chinese food.
- Without your stellar advice, my inclination would be to go to Marc Forgione or Locanda Verde, but I can't get reservations until 9pm -- too late for this crew.
- Although that kind of rules them out (I think - do you think we'd have luck with either walking in?), those are two places that appeal in terms of food, atmosphere, and price. I say that based on having gone to MF and reading about Locanda Verde.
- We'd like to keep to a contiguous-ish neighborhood, to keep it walkable.
Any thoughts? I'd really like to enjoy a nice meal together - if I don't have something planned, I know my mom and she'd just suggest grabbing some things from a deli or grocery and I can't do that with so many good options close by. Ideas welcome and appreciated!
Possible options that fit your time/location/cost requirements and show OpenTable availability
Apizz (solid Italian, pretty room, on a dead street in the LES, much quieter than Locanda Verde and imo better for parents)
La Sirene (French, BYOB so save on costs if plan to drink)
Balaboosta (Mediterranean, have heard complaints about portion size, but they're fine for me)
Public (eclectic international, probably the most upscale of the available options)