Bay Area Food Festivals and Events - January (& New Year's Eve), 2013
- New Year's Eve Dining: East Bay restaurants offering special New Year's Eve menus include Ajanta in Berkeley (www.ajantarestaurant.com); Borgo Italia in Oakland (www.borgoitaliaoakland.com); District in Oakland (www.districtoak.com); Gather in Berkeley (www.gatherrestaurant.com); the Joshu-ya Brasserie, also in Berkeley. (www.joshu-ya.com); and Lake Chalet on the shores of Oakland's Lake Merritt (www.thelakechalet.com) [from Mercury News]
- 1/18 to 1/27,Oakland, 3rd Annual Restaurant Week, about 43 restaurants
- Saturdays, Oakland, 2-6 pm. Wine tastings at Two Miles Wines, 477 25th St.
1/25 Marian Brown's 86th birthday, Sir Francis Drake Hotel, SF
1/29 Workshop and Farm Tour, Pastured Poultry, ALBA, Salinas
1/18 & 19 - Good Food Awards, San Francisco
1/19 - National Day of Service to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr and in conjunction with the presidential inauguration weekend. To find events near you,
Collecting cookware and household goods for veterans and military families, Menlo Park
Volunteer at the Petaluma Kitchen
Feeding Kaden's Park Friends, Oakland
1/31 Magnolia Mixology, San Francisco Botanical Garden
1/16 Fifth Golden Barspoon Cocktail Competition at Spoonbar, Healdsburg
1/19 Piner Olivet Charter and Jack London Elementary School Crab Feed, Windsor
1/19 Cloverdale Knights of Columbus Annual Crab Cioppino Feed
1/19 Grace Episcopal Church Crab Feed, Martinez
1/26 Our Lady of Grace Church Crab Feed, Castro Valley
1/26 Boys and Girls Club Crab Feed, Windsor
1/26 30th Annual Rotary Club of West Santa Rosa Crab Feed
1/29 Cinnabar Theater Crab and Shrimp Feed, Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma
- 1/16, Oakland, 7:30am -9:30 am, "Grits and Greens," breakfast at Miss Ollie's, 901 Washington St., with panel discussion on food, art and technology. $12.
- 1/16, Oakland, 6-9pm, screening of film "Soul Food Junkies" and panel with director. Also food from Taste of Africa and Smokin' Warehouse. Free.
- 1/17, Oakland, 6-8pm, "Food:An Atlas & People's Kitchen,"...
"What would it take to assemble an international collection of food systems maps and data visualizations from around the world and then publish it as both an electronic and a printed e book?"
- 1/18-1/27 Oakland Restaurant Week. Annalee Allen of the Oakland Tribune notes that many of the restaurant week sites are located in historic buildings.
1/15 - Vegetarian Pop Up Market, Oakland
1/18-21 Napa Truffle Festival
1/19 - 27th Annual Spark Plugs Crab Feed, Sebastopol Masonic Hall
1/19 Petaluma Lions 31st Annual Crab Feed (lunch or dinner seatings)
1/19 Redwood Empire Crab Feed Benefiting Children's Charities
1/19 4th Annual Santa Rosa High School Crab Feed
1/19 & 20 Winter Wineland, Northern Sonoma County Wine Road
1/20 Bodega Bay Grange Crab Cioppino Feed
1/26 Analy Boosters Crab Feed, Sebastopol
1/26 Children's Diabetes Foundation 20th Annual Crab Feed & Pasta Dinner, Petaluma
1/16 - Bay Area Agriculture in a Changing Climate, San Francisco
1/21 - Convivial Table, Salumeria (Slow Food, SF
1/26 - 10th Annual Bodega Bay Chowder Day
This was one of my favorite events and fundraisers last year. In my critique to the organizers, I suggested that the price be increased, and I see that it has gone up from $5 per person to $10. Still a bargain considering I sampled 16 different chowders, 2 oz each, for a total of a quart. And all but two were very good to excellent, not the overthickened wallpaper paste that's become too common. So far there seem to be 10 entrants on the slate. My notes and scoresheet from last year,
- 1/13 - 1/20, 1st Berkeley Restaurant Week, $30 for three-course prix-fixe dinner at 20 restaurants including Ajanta, Angeline's, Anh Hong, Cafe Rouge, Comal, Gather, Revival, Riva Cucina, Rivoli, Corso.