One great dinner in Antwerp
check out some of the following places:
Invincible - www.restaurantinvincible.be - for local dishes, simple no fuss presentations and a very adventurous wine list.
Interesting also for its sushi-counter type of seating.
Veranda - located in Berchem, Guldenvliesstraat - for fixed course no options menu of very intelligent composition and attention to quality produce. (Book well in advance)
If you had a car you ought to consider Nuance in Duffel, a fifteen minute ride from Antwerpen. www.resto-nuance.be.
Try to go there now, so you can say in the not too remote future when they will have three stars "I ate there"!
As much as I respect all other chowhounds' opinions, I would like to say that the recommendation for fiskebar in another reply to your query, is imho wrong. Very wrong, in fact.
this was posted one year ago fyi- many thx
zkoulerm Dec 6, 2011 04:37 AM
It all depends on what you are looking for. Here is a decent list of what I've found so far (I am from the US and now live in the South of Antwerp)
In the south:
- Not open on the weekends, but my favorite Italian place is Particolare - it's a small deli with a ton of prepared dishes. Always fresh, always expertly balanced, and always changing! Check it out if you end up here during a weeknight. The owner is fun too :) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188636-d1089333-Reviews-Particolare-Antwerp_Antwerpen.html
- A great patisserie is in the South called Dela Faille http://www.dellafaille.eu/.
- A casual quick lunch if you are in the mood for a Brasserie is Den Artiste http://www.brasseriedenartist.be/
- Also, you should try Fiskebar if you like fish!! It's most likely the best fish in Antwerp - it's all written in Flemish on chalk boards. That means it's fresh! http://www.fiskebar.be/
- If you are in the mood for sushi, there are a few good places. Izumi is really nice, very expensive, and very authentic http://www2.resto.be/izumi/.
- There is a really charming italian place in the center called Il Gallo Nero http://www.resto.be/ware/details.jsp?businessid=44090&lg=NL that has great fresh ingredients.
- If you are missing a great burger (if you don't live in the US), Burgerij http://www.burgerij.be/ is really nice. Not walkable from the center though.
- If you have transportation (10 mins south by car in Aarselaar) I'm obsessed with Hana Japanese Restaurant on A12. Get the fried chicken bowl and some fresh simple sushi. http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show...