Suggestions to modify? (with pictures!)
The goal is to modify texture of the Liege waffle on the right (mine) to the waffle on the left. Both waffles start as a ball of dough, not batter. Mine (right, no filling in this picture) is from a commonly available recipe below - similar to a Brioche I think. The waffle on the left really doesn't have much of a bread texture at all.
• 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup scalded whole milk at 110-115 degrees
• 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. of water at 110-115 degrees
• 2 cups King Arthur Bread flour
• 1 large room temperature egg, lightly beaten
• 1Tbsp. + 1 tsp. light brown sugar
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 8 1/2 Tbsp. soft room temperature unsalted butter
• 1 Tbsp. honey
• 2 tsp. vanilla
• 3/4 cup Belgian Pearl Sugar (“Lars Own” brand is an excellent choice)
Agree with chefj. Did you rest or refrigerate the dough before proceeding?
I also think you may have overworked your dough or added too much flour because it looks very dense & doughy inside. (It would be better if the recipe offered weights for the dry ingredients to ensure accuracy.)