HOME > Chowhound > Food Media & News >

Discussion

Acetaldehyde

This has hit the news:

http://www.globenewswire.com/Tracker?...

Anyone familiar with any other attention to this substance - which seems could be present in a lot more things than we thought.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. Here's a link to a fact sheet from the US Dept. of Health and Human Services:

    http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/twel...

    1 Reply
    1. re: GH1618

      ". The main source of
      exposure of the general population is through consumption of alcoholic beverages and the subsequent metabolism of alcohol to form
      acetaldehyde (HSDB 2009)"

    2. Is that news, or product placement (by a lab that sells chemical analysis)?

      4 Replies
      1. re: paulj

        Absolutely not a product placement as far as I am concerned - it was news item found with googling 'acetaldehyde' - I was concerned as was about to buy 5L of special apple vinegar and started seriously wondering.

        1. re: jounipesonen

          I didn't mean you personally, but your cited source does look like a product ad.

          1. re: paulj

            ok - understand - and you may be right - on the other hand - it might be that it is more of a danger than we might think - just think how long the tobacco folks kept dodging the issue . it just might be that 5L of 'my apple vinegar' may not be a healthy as I might initially have thought!

            1. re: jounipesonen

              Paul is right -- it's a marketing blurb to sell their lab test, but they are using a scare tactic to utilize their service.

              More in my post below.

      2. This is simply a marketing announcement that Biohit has developed a lab test to measure acetaldehyde in food and beverages.

        Biohit has taken an alarmist stance, warning about acetaldehyde and its carcinogenic effect, to sell their lab test.

        Kind of a cheap shot when the only carcinogenic correlation in the medical literature was found in patients with alcohol addiction.

        Even though many foods have acetaldehyde that occurs naturally, drinking alcohol is the biggest source of exposure. That acetaldehyde is usually handled easily by the body -- the alcohol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, which is then converted into acetic acid.

        Some persons, especially East Asians, have a genetic variation that causes them to metabolize alcohol a bit differently: The alcohol converts too quickly to to acetaldehyde (this creates a red flush on the face), and the acetaldehyde converts too slowly into the benign acetic acid.

        Environmentally, acetaldehyde is all around us. Outdoors and indoors, everywhere. It's an air pollutant, in tobacco smoke, in paint, carpets, plastic -- acetaldehyde is ubitquitous in our environment. No carcinogenic correlation, and I'm not even sure this exposure has been quantified.

        1. Well budweiser's "beechwood aging" leaves a lot of it in their beer ....

          1. I am more worried about Dihydrogen Monoxide. It is the major component of acid rain. It contributes to the "greenhouse effect", it may cause severe burns, it is fatal if inhaled, it contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape, it accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals, it may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes, and it has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

            Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power plants, in the production of Styrofoam, as a fire retardant, in many forms of cruel animal research, and in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical. It is also used as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

            Dihydrogen Monoxide is extremely dangerous when used improperly and it is everywhere.

            2 Replies
            1. re: John E.

              Nice try! I got my middle schooler with that a while back.

              1. re: John E.

                it was used as a learning exercise in an MSDS course I took a few years back.

                The instructor showed us the MSDS for this product...scary as hell until he removed the Post-It covering the name of the compound in the header of the page.

                ...and gave me a healthy jolt of reality about reading toxicology and health-hazard data.