Saving overly dehydrated jerky
- castiron Dec 15, 2012 07:45 PM
My kitchen-challenged husband dehydrated his jerky (in a dehydrator) for about three times as long as he should have. It's now way too dry, so I am trying to help him figure out a way to moisten it slightly. It is elk and antelope from his hunting trip. Some of the ideas we've thought about:
1. Remarinating it and re drying it. I just worry it might get too salty.
2. Soaking it in some water and re drying it. But here the problem would be that some of the salt would leave the jerky, which would maybe make it not salty enough, but could also potentially invite bacterial contamination if it's not salty enough.
3. Just spritzing it with some water or covering it in damp towels in the fridge for a while.
4. A combos of ideas 3 and 1. 3 first, then 1. The idea is to get the salt out, then reinsert it.
Any thoughts or other ideas?