Breakfast, coffee and cocktails in Kansas City
I will be making my first visit to KC from my home in NYC. I have scoured the boards and found a treasure trove of good information on KC. I think I have the information I need on BBQ. I am staying in Crown Center.
A few questions:
1. Are there any good breakfast places I can hit during the week?
2. How's the coffee scene in KC? Any good spots in the Crown Center vicinity?
3. Other than Manifesto, which gets heapings of praise on this board, are there any other worthwhile bars in KC that a young, single, cocktail enthusiast should check out?
1. Breakfasts: I adore Royal Genesse Bistro. The location is pretty interesting as well. If you act like you know where you are going, you can walk into the building across the street. And it feels like you are suddenly in a Coen Bros film.
Also, Happy Gillis is quite yummy for breakfasts.
2.Coffee: Oddly Correct is good at Main and 39th. (stumptown like quality). Lil Freshie is adorable and serves oddly correct beans. Crown center is bizarre. The frozen custard there is not bad at all.
3. I am fond of the mixed drinks at Port Fonda.
I agree with the recs for affaire that were previously posted. That food is superlative for KC.
I think that Pierpont's in Union Station has one of the most beautiful bars in the Midwest. It's a steakhouse restaurant, and I've never eaten there, but I've had drinks and enjoyed the experience. Union Station is worth a look inside, and it's connected by one of those gerbil tubes/pedestrian links to Crown Center. ;)