Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Dec 11, 2012 07:47 AM

I have to toss it, right..?

I know what you are going to say, I know what you are going to say, I know what you are going to say. But...

I made spare ribs last night for dinner today -- slow roasted with onions, cooked for nearly 3 hours. I turned it off and let it cool with the lid on...and fell asleep before putting it in the fridge. It was out, fully cooked, for about 6 hours. Probably about 65 degrees in our kitchen. I have to toss it, right?

What a heartbreaking little thing to wake up to!!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Fully cooked meat. No problem. Get it nice and hot and enjoy it today.

    1. Use yourself as a guinea pig - have a taste and don't feed it to anyone else for a few hours - I do that on a regular basis - and haven't ever gotten sick... though now that I write that I'm sure I will!

      The only worrying thing to me is that the lid was on - how air tight?

      1 Reply
      1. re: harryharry

        I agree sorta - if you guinea pig - go 24 hours.

        The good and bad: Bad - you put the lid on to cool. That engthens the time at which the food was in the dangerous bacteria flourish zone. Ideally you want to go from hot to cold ASAP for safe food handling. The good - if it was covered with a sauce with a high acid content (like a vinegary BBQ sauce) you may have lessened the bacteria problem since the bacteria does not flourish in an acid enviro.

        So if you are daring and cheap and craving ribs... eat one and see what happens.

      2. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

        1. The lid was on so the contents should be virtually sterile (I'm no expert, just my guess).

          I'd have no issues eating this, but for peace of mind's sake just simmer thoroughly, say for 30 minutes. I understand that bacteria and the toxins they produce are seperate issues, but you will be fine. Probably.