Chocolate chili cookies---tried and true recipes?
- alliegator Dec 8, 2012 11:21 AM
Not much of a baker, but mr. gator has entered me in his company's Christmas cookie contest. I do like the chocolate candies that add a bit of chili heat, and I've googled for recipes for similar cookies. I've seen a few, but just wondering if anyone has one that they know and love. Or at least a few tips for me as I blunder into the world of non traditional cookies.
Thanks a bunch :)
I made these for a friend's birthday care package. He's a a chocolate and chili head and LOVED them. I found them almost too rich but I am a salty/carb girl, not a sweet/chocolate person.
Black Bean Chocolate Chili Cherry Cookies
Makes nine 3” cookies
1 ½ cups black beans, very soft (or one 15 oz. can
)2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or ghee)
1/3 cup organic cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey, agave)
2 Tbsp. chia seeds (or use 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds OR 2 eggs)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate (80% or higher)
1/4 cup chopped dried cherries (optional, or use dried cranberries)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix chia seeds, maple syrup, and vanilla in a bowl and set aside. If using eggs, skip this step.
3. Place drained and well-rinsed beans, coconut oil, cocoa, salt and cayenne in a food processor and blend until well combined. Add maple syrup and chia mixture (or eggs) and pulse to incorporate. The batter will be quite liquid-y, but still hold together. Remove blade from the food processor and add chopped chocolate and cherries. Fold to incorporate.
4. Spoon cookie batter onto lined baking sheet. Using the back of the spoon, flatten top of cookies slightly, as they will not spread when baking. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt (important!). Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are browning. Cool and eat. Store in the fridge.
Wow, foodieX2, I love the ingredients in this recipe. Takes the whole chocolate/chili thing to a whole new level! Thank you so much for sharing and I'll be giving it a try during my "test run" days this week and will report back.
I'm also a salty girl, but these really fit the bill for what I'm looking for.