Singapore - Dinner at Ola Cocina del Mar, Marina Bay Financial Centre
Ola Cocina Del Mar is helmed by ex-Santi Singapore chefs: Daniel Chavez and Pepe Moncayo.
What we had:
- A couple of amuse geule to start: a smooth, blended creamy gazpacho with cherry tomato halves was tasty, whilst the wafer-thin dry Catalonian salami on toasted bread was somewhat rustic.
- bster in a clear rice broth. Tasty, simple, like something I’m rustle up at home on a cold winter’s day (if Singapore has any winter, that is).
- Seafood paella – cooked in an individual paella pan. Very nice.
- A large chuletón (rib steak) done medium rare, and enough to serve 3 persons Very nicely prepared. Not something I’d specifically some back for though.
We were told that the suckling pig’s out-of-stock. Too bad – we’re the second table to come in on Sat evening, so I guess they’re not doing it for this weekend. I’d be curious to try that as the Spaniards normally do pork pretty well, but next time, maybe.
Desserts were interesting:
- Rice pudding (liked the raisins and cake crumbs, which provided additional textures to the dessert)
- Crema Catalana (I normally liked French crème brulee but never developed a liking for its Catalonian counterpart no matter how many times I’d had that)
- Pear poached in red wine with cinnamon cake & honey ice-cream (well done – quite light)
Overall, I thought the food here was tastier than the old Santi restaurant’s, despite being much easier on the wallet. Not a particularly memorable meal, and I’m still wondering how the dinner might have been if they’d had the suckling pig.
Ola Cocina Del Mar
Marina Bay Financial Centre (Tower 3)
#01-06, 12 Marina Boulevard
Tel: +65 6604 7050