I am sponsoring dessert for our synagogue's Chanukah party, which happens to fall on my birthday. There will be approximately 70-80 people (kids and adults). What are some suggestions for popular bakery desserts other then sufganiot that can be served? Just want to do something nice, especially for kids! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Csoroge fank is the traditional Hungarian dessert for Chanukah. Easier to make in bulk than sufganiyot. Here's a receipt close to ours:
6 Egg yolks
1 t Salt
2 T Sugar
1 T Vinegar
2 1⁄2 c flour
1⁄2 c Sour cream
1. Add all or enough of flour to egg yolks and sour cream to make a soft dough.
2. Add sugar, salt, and vinegar.
3. Knead until smooth.
4. Roll out very thin.
5. Cut into diamond shapes.
6. Make a slit in center and pull one end through slit.
7. Fry in deep oil until light brown.
8. Drain on absorbent paper.
9. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
10. Serve with apricot or raspberry preserves for dunking
You can also put in a teaspoon of whiskey/rum/brandy/shnapps.
What about getting one of those chocolate fountains with lots of things to dip in them? Kids love those, although they can be extremely messy.
Also, fresh popped popcorn is always nice.
love the idea of chocolate fountains with strawberries, banana slices, cookies to dip in. cupcakes are also a great idea and a lot of fun for kids. ice cream sundae bar with different toppings for people to enjoy - you can also bake up a huge brownie or chocolate-chip cookies and serve them warm with ice cream (easy to prepare and always a favorite)