HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

Clotted Cream? Double Devon Cream?

BerkshireTsarina Nov 18, 2012 07:24 AM

Both of these products are available from the King Arthur catalog and at Whole Foods. I love scones, served with strawberry jam and ---- which one of these?
Are they the same, in which case why do they make both? Or is one more traditional? Thicker? Yummier? If you know, please advise!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. javaandjazz RE: BerkshireTsarina Nov 18, 2012 07:53 AM

    to me they are both the same and I like them both!

    1. Peg RE: BerkshireTsarina Nov 18, 2012 09:09 AM

      You want the clotted cream for a cream tea. It's way thicker than double, which is really just thick whipping cream.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Peg
        javaandjazz RE: Peg Nov 19, 2012 07:12 AM

        I think the double cream is very thick also. I get that most of the time.

      2. Sooeygun RE: BerkshireTsarina Nov 19, 2012 06:52 AM


        I found this useful when deciding.

        1 Reply
        1. re: Sooeygun
          Peg RE: Sooeygun Nov 19, 2012 07:13 AM

          Certainly here in England clotted cream is the way to go - but ambient clotted cream doesn't exist here in the UK - I'm guessing there may be differences between it and the fresh sort. So the original question would need to be answered by someone who has tried the ambient products.

        Show Hidden Posts