Need your very best vegetarian stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving
In the past, I've always adapted typical stuffing receipes for my one vegetarian guest. I've never found one recipe worthy of repeating the following year. They've all been good, but not great. I'm hoping this board can provide some great vegetarian stuffing recipes for me to try this year. TIA
I don't measure anything, but here's the basic recipe that I use (adjusting based on inspiration):
- A couple cups of vegetable broth, steeped with fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, etc.)
- Two loaves of bread, torn-up (usually a whole wheat and a sourdough)
- 3 to 4 cups of assorted mushrooms, cleaned and chopped into chunks
- Chopped celery (cup or so, I guess)
- Peeled and chipped apple (usually a Granny Smith)
- Chopped onion (usually one red, one white)
- Poultry seasoning (dried) or fresh herbs (the same as used in the broth - just minced)
- Salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes (the latter may be omitted)
- Handful of chopped nuts (usually pecans)
Saute everything in the "Filling" list in a large pot, in olive oil or butter or mix of both, until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the onions have softened. Let cool a bit and dump over the torn-up bread. Ladle some of the broth over, stir to combine, and add more broth as needed to get to the moistness desired.
Put into large baking dish (or two), dot with butter (this is important), cover with foil and bake until heated through - peel off the foil and bake for a few minutes more to crisp the top.
I kept going through stuffings looking for a keeper. I tweaked this one:
* 1 loaf of Italian bread, ripped or cut into 1 inch pieces
* 8 oz of oyster mushrooms and 8 oz fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped into bite-sized pieces
* 2 1/2 cups mushroom stock
* 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
* 1 leek, finely chopped
* 1 cup of dried cranberries
* 1 15 oz jar of chestnuts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
* 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
* 2 shallots, finely chopped
* 2 Tbsp of fresh sage, finely chopped
* 1 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh thyme
* 1 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh rosemary
* salt and pepper
* small cube of butter, plus extra for greasing
Stale the bread. Sautee onion, leek, shallot, fresh herbs, celery, mushrooms in butter until onions are soft and mushrooms have released liquid. Add broth, salt and pepper to taste. Grease a 9x13 pan, mix everything together, dump in pan. Bake at 350F (or thereabouts) for 35-40 minutes. Can chop everything ahead of time, sautee-and-mix just before putting in oven.
It serves as many as a 9x13 pan of stuffing serves in your crowd, which really tends to depend on the number of dishes.
As to a vegetarian broth......there are several commercial.........but a broth of carrots, onion,celery.....diced up fine in a food processor.......about 1/2 cup each........add some garlic.......sautee 10 mins in butter if it is allowed...........add 2 cups water........and seasonings.
To that add more sauteed onion.....cranberries......and maybe some sliced apple
For the rest of the crowd......add in some sausage