HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Discussion

frying pan chipped/melted off?

  • 3

my mom made a vegetable sautee this morning..and the pan must've been really hot because there was smoke everywhere (i think she left the oil burning a bit too long)

anyway the food was fine..but I noticed afterwards that the bottom of the frying pan had a significant portion of the bottom either chipped or melted off D:
did we just eat that?!? i'm now freaking out, since it might be toxic? my mom says that if we did ingest any of the bits from the frying pan it should just pass through our system though :O

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. <anyway the food was fine..but I noticed afterwards that the bottom of the frying pan had a significant portion of the bottom either chipped or melted off D:>

    What kind of pan is this? A nonstick pan or an enameled cast iron pan? If it is an enameled pan, then you likely chipped it off. You won't able to digest/absorb it. However, it is sharp and it can potential cause some damages. It is like ingesting a piece of glass. It will like pass through the system, but it can hurt you as it passes through your system.

    If it is nonstick, then you could have either chipped it or melt if off into the food. It is not a health problem. Most of the Teflon nonstick coating will pass through your digestion system.

    2 Replies
    1. re: Chemicalkinetics

      For what is worth, Teflon cookware hazard is not from ingesting the solid. You can eat the entire Teflon coating from a pan, and still be fine. The potential dangerous is from vaporizing the Teflon -- transforming the Teflon into gas (fume). Inhaling the fume "can" cause sickness

      http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/medical...

      So the fact that you have smoke everywhere and melting the pan is probably not a good thing..... although the danger is not eating the Teflon, but inhaling the fume.

      1. re: Chemicalkinetics

        Or having said toxic particulates that are released from teflon at 464 F permeate your food.

        http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon