HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Oct 29, 2012 12:51 AM

Steamer add-on..?

What is this steamer addon that Alton is using called and how much does it cost approx?



  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. <What is this steamer addon that Alton is using called and how much does it cost approx?>

    To answer your two questions:

    1) This is called a "collapsible steamer" or "folding steamer". They are traditionally made with stainless steel, but some new ones are made with plastic:



    2) They cost between $5-$30.

    You didn't ask this for this, but I personally do not prefer this kind of steamers.

    7 Replies
    1. re: Chemicalkinetics

      great.. thanks

      I can only assume that this sort of steamer cant compare to the traditional full steamer.. but to me this seems to make it so easy (read that faster) to use that I can quickly steam a few veggies

      1. re: chow_rk

        We use this type of steamer to steam vegetables 3-4 times a week. I can't imagine not having one if you like fresh, steamed vegetables. They take up no room to store, work fine, and last forever. (I just bought a new one to replace one we'd had for 15 years).

        1. re: masha

          Do you use metallic or plastic steamer?

          1. re: masha

            I have a plastic one that I bought for $1. I use it almost every day. Simple to use and easy to clean.

            1. re: cheesecake17

              wow $1?.. from where dd you get that?

              1. re: chow_rk

                Either a local discount store or dollar tree. I have 2 of them- dd loves to play with it