Daytrips from Bilbao/San Sebastian/Barcelona
Alright folks, I've had some time to get most of my trip planned. Heading to Bilbao for a bit, then San Sebastian, then the train to Barcelona.
A few lingering questions...
I have about 2 days in the Bilbao area before going to San Sebastian. I will likely have a car.
- Was thinking a Haro winery/pinxto day trip. Maybe swinging by Vitoria. Is this worth it?
- Or maybe Santander? Worth day tripping?
- I will be hitting up Asador Etxebarri on the way to SS
Also, was thinking a day trip to Getaria and Biarritz/Bayonne (maybe separate days) when based in San Sebastian and a day trip to Girona while in Barcelona.
Thanks as always!
Here is the original post:
If you are going up to Bayonne, you might want to check out the chocolate (if you like chocolate):
If heat is more your thing, you are just missing next week's festival, but you might want to stay on the lookout for Piment d'Espelette
Sounds like an awesome trip. Here are my two cents from my previous experiences:
- My brother and I visited Haro and Vitoria in 2010 and it was great. We made it a full day trip as we were staying in San Sebastian and decided to visit multiple wineries in the area while we were at it. On the way there we ate at Echaurren which was amazing. I would say that Haro is definitely well worth a visit.
- Good choice on Etxebarri :)
- We went to Getaria and Biarritz on separate years. Last year we visited the Txomin Etxaniz bodega in Getaria and ended up having a great chat with one of the three owners over their txakoli and anchovies. We then had lunch at this place by Getaria's church called Iribar. It was really good traditional Basque food. When we went to Biarritz we also hit up St Jean de Luz. We spent the morning there and were back by lunch time.
Hope your trip goes well!!