Recommendations for dinner with the family at < $20/entree (downtown or Brooklyn)?
Some quick criteria:
* "nice" atmosphere - not date-like (thought that would be ok), but just nice for a family. I realize at this price point it won't be exquisite, but I'm hoping for something nicer than the neighborhood Thai place in terms of atmosphere.
* food: nothing too "ethnic", for lack of a better term (no Indian or Asian) for example. Thinking American, Italian, French - meats/seafood/cheese - stuff like that (unfortunately my dad's not too adventurous).
* Let's say below 23rd St. and above Canal, or relatively close (not more than a few miles from a bridge) in Brooklyn
* Entrees in the high teens (fine if some of them are low $20s) - say an average entree price of $20 would be fine
* Bonus points if it won't be completely empty at 5 or 6pm on a Sunday (mom likes to eat early).
Thanks for any recommendations!
Lupa's a good call. Frankie's Spuntino as well - either the Manhattan or Brooklyn location (the BK location is nicer, though)
A few entrees (at both) will be in the mid-20s, but most pastas and such will be under $20 easily.
Schiller's could also be a good call - solid tasty food but not too adventurous, always bustling, almost everything is under $20, with the exception of the steaks. The roast chicken might be $21, IIRC.
Couple others just came to mind: The Smile, NoHo Star, Cornelia St. Cafe, Po (if you stick mostly to pastas...)