HOME > Chowhound > Spirits >
Oct 5, 2012 01:12 PM

What type of cocktail glass is this?

I'm in the market for new cocktail glasses (preferably vintage or sized 4-5 ounces) and have found the shape I like but I'm not sure what it is called. I'd love to find this design which looks almost like a tall coupe :


The trouble is, I'm not sure what this kind of glass this is called besides a cocktail glass. Anyone else know?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Never heard that called anything other than a cocktail glass.

    2 Replies
    1. re: jaykayen

      I've heard them called "ugly," but that probably isn't what the OP meant. "Cocktail glass" pretty much covers it.

      1. re: zin1953

        Haha, yeah yeah, well I like them as an alternative to coupes. Like coupes they are less likely to spill.

    2. California cocktail glass? http://www.truebeer.com/California-Co...
      or Libby calls them "deep bowl" cocktail glasses

      1. The Boston Shaker calls them "Manhattan Glasses".


        1. I don't know if there is a specific name for this glass.......other than Cocktail Glass.....used for any cocktails without ice or served up.

          It a very common in every place that served liquor.....I can remember them from the 50's to present. The best way I would describe it is a retro cocktail glass

          1. Thanks for the finds, I will continue searching now for vintage California or Manhattan glasses. In the meantime, I do like the ones from the Boston shaker.

            2 Replies
            1. re: Klunco

              Check out Goodwill, that is where I got mine, paid $2 each. Also small liqueur glasses, punch cups, coupes, etc. Plentiful here, but YMMV.

              1. re: jaykayen

                I can report that the ones from Boston Shaker are really very nice, not too clunky but not too delicate for everyday use. In fact, I am having a Manhattan in one right now!