HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

What is this tool?

LisaPA Sep 12, 2012 02:10 PM

We rented a beach house in the Outer Banks last week. The kitchen was pretty well-stocked with cooking gear (12 sets of crab crackers!), but this one item left me completely stumped. I took photos of the front, back and an angle so you can see the inside. It screws down to clamp something in place, but to what purpose? It's far too large to be a cherry or olive pitter (about 4" long), and it would seem unnecessarily complicated as an egg slicer.

I'm hoping someone else will recognize it.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. b
    Bkeats RE: LisaPA Sep 12, 2012 02:21 PM

    I believe that is a vintage vise style nut cracker

    7 Replies
    1. re: Bkeats
      pinehurst RE: Bkeats Sep 12, 2012 02:30 PM

      +1. There's one about halfway down on this antique utensils page.

      1. re: pinehurst
        mcf RE: pinehurst Sep 12, 2012 03:04 PM

        Could you click on it and then post the link that comes up after you do? I just exhausted myself scrolling and came up with nada. :-)

        1. re: mcf
          ChillyDog RE: mcf Sep 12, 2012 03:58 PM

          Here it is-


          1. re: ChillyDog
            pinehurst RE: ChillyDog Sep 12, 2012 04:26 PM

            Thanks ChillyDog. I was on another board and missed the boat. Sorry!!!

            1. re: ChillyDog
              mcf RE: ChillyDog Sep 12, 2012 05:52 PM

              Thanks! And good find, pinehurst.

          2. re: pinehurst
            LisaPA RE: pinehurst Sep 12, 2012 03:59 PM

            Sure enough, that's the exact same model! But man, it's huge for a nut cracker. Even a large walnut would take several minutes of spinning to even reach the shell.

            (I did a ctrl-F to search for the word "nut" on the page).

            1. re: LisaPA
              kengk RE: LisaPA Sep 12, 2012 04:02 PM

              "Several minutes"? I would think several seconds from fully open to fully closed and no need to open or close past cracking and putting in another.

        2. mcf RE: LisaPA Sep 12, 2012 02:26 PM

          Could that hole in the bottom mean it's some sort of pitter? It's kind of small, though, for that, yet awfully wide for a nut cracker. :-/

          1 Reply
          1. re: mcf
            calliope_nh RE: mcf Sep 12, 2012 04:10 PM

            I bet the cup is wide so as to catch the cracked shells.

            Maybe the hole does allow for an alternative use as a pitter.

            I think one would keep the screw wound to the place most often used, then only minor adjustments would be required for each nut.

          Show Hidden Posts