HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

Question for Canadian 'Hounds

pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 10:39 AM

Do you folks north of the border use the term "bell pepper," or "capsicum?"

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. m
    MrsCris RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 12:26 PM

    Bell pepper. Because we get so much Britash TV, I'm used to hearing capsicum, but the supermarkets all call them bell peppers.

    16 Replies
    1. re: MrsCris
      Harters RE: MrsCris Aug 25, 2012 01:09 PM

      But we Brits don't call them capsicums - they're always just "peppers"

      1. re: Harters
        pikawicca RE: Harters Aug 25, 2012 01:55 PM

        I thought you called them "sweet peppers."

        1. re: pikawicca
          Harters RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 03:01 PM

          Nope - just peppers. Red, green or orange.


          1. re: Harters
            grayelf RE: Harters Aug 28, 2012 08:02 PM

            That's the same for me in Vancouver, Harters, though you will see them listed as bell peppers too. I mostly buy jalapenos (sorry too lazy to find the tilde) but would never call them green peppers :-).

            1. re: grayelf
              Harters RE: grayelf Aug 29, 2012 02:02 AM

              Me neither. Jalapenos are jalapenos. Green peppers are green peppers.

        2. re: Harters
          MrsCris RE: Harters Aug 25, 2012 01:57 PM

          Really? My mistake then. I'm thinking of, for example, Nigella Lawson who seems to call them capsicums.

          1. re: MrsCris
            MrsCris RE: MrsCris Aug 25, 2012 02:05 PM

            So I did a quick search as I got curious. It seems that folks in Australia, New Zealand, and India call them capsicums.

            1. re: MrsCris
              Harters RE: MrsCris Aug 25, 2012 03:04 PM

              I'm surprised that Nigella calls them capsicums. She doesnt seem to on her website - http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/p...

              1. re: MrsCris
                gembellina RE: MrsCris Aug 28, 2012 07:38 AM

                She might be adapting for foreign audiences. I just bought a copy of a Nigel Slater book in Toronto and was devastated to read an instruction for broiling.

                1. re: gembellina
                  Harters RE: gembellina Aug 28, 2012 07:45 AM

                  Broiling? BROILING?

                  That's foreign, that is. He'll be writing recipes in pounds and ounces next.

                  1. re: Harters
                    gembellina RE: Harters Aug 28, 2012 06:09 PM

                    worse - cups!

                    1. re: gembellina
                      Harters RE: gembellina Aug 29, 2012 02:05 AM

                      Damn. The man has sold his soul. Burn him, burn him.

                    2. re: Harters
                      CanadaGirl RE: Harters Aug 29, 2012 05:58 AM

                      What do you call broiling?

                      1. re: CanadaGirl
                        gembellina RE: CanadaGirl Aug 29, 2012 06:47 AM

                        Broiling is what we call grilling (in the oven, directly under the top heating element). And what Americans call grilling (outside, over flames), we call barbecuing. And what Americans call BBQing, I don't think we really have a separate name for. Maybe hot smoking?

                        1. re: gembellina
                          CanadaGirl RE: gembellina Aug 29, 2012 07:55 AM

                          Interesting. Canadians say broiling as Americans do, but we too call barbecuing what Americans call grilling (for the most part), as you do. We so have BBQ, but it's not very widespread.

              2. re: MrsCris
                pikawicca RE: MrsCris Aug 25, 2012 01:55 PM


              3. c
                CanadaGirl RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 12:54 PM

                Yep, bell pepper. But a lot of people would know what was meant by capsicum, although I've never seen them labelled that way in stores.

                1. chefathome RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 04:57 PM

                  It's true - here we do call them bell peppers. But at our house, when we say "peppers" it means poblanos as that are what we buy most often.

                  1. s
                    SusieQ222 RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 05:53 PM

                    I've heard them termed Sweet red bell peppers here in Vancouver BC Canada..Most people assume if you just say red or green peppers you mean the bell pepper which is the most common in supermarkets. Jalapenos seem to be the next most common, thai bird chillies, habaneros, seranos, Banana peppers, cherry peppers, chipotles, rellenos. heck the list is endless...love them all! I've heard the British use both terms bell pepper and capsicum. As a fan of the Australian Women's weekly cookbooks, I know they used the word capsicum, as well as aubergine for eggplant, courgettes for zucchinis, and kumara for what we call yams which is the more orange and less starchy version of a sweet potato, but our calling them "yams" may not be correct because apparently a yam is a totally different vegetable from Africa...but that's a different discussion... like the difference between a rhutabaga & a turnip. I grew up calling a large yellow "Swede" turnip, or rhutabaga, just a turnip because that's all my Mum grew up with. Years later I was presented with a smaller more rounded white fleshed "English" turnip... oh, but that's another discussion too... I don't care what it's called.... as long as it tastes good!!! :-)

                    1 Reply
                    1. re: SusieQ222
                      melpy RE: SusieQ222 Oct 4, 2012 03:18 AM

                      Me too! I thought the rutabaga was called turnip until I went to buy them.

                    2. Ruthie789 RE: pikawicca Aug 25, 2012 06:43 PM

                      Bell pepper or green or red pepper.

                      2 Replies
                      1. re: Ruthie789
                        SusieQ222 RE: Ruthie789 Aug 25, 2012 06:54 PM

                        OKay. Perhaps a tad too verbose. Apologies. LIke the yellow orange & purple peppers too. The bell ones.

                        1. re: SusieQ222
                          Ruthie789 RE: SusieQ222 Aug 26, 2012 04:16 PM

                          All I know is that I do like them!

                      2. b
                        Blush RE: pikawicca Aug 28, 2012 01:45 PM

                        I'm Canadian and have called bell peppers "sweet peppers" or named them by colour. Any other pepper gets a modifier as to type.

                        1. c
                          CanadaGirl RE: pikawicca Aug 29, 2012 06:04 AM

                          Your post has me thinking, and aside from "Canadian bacon", which we call back bacon or peameal ham, I can't think of anything we call by a different name than Americans.

                          Edit: as soon as I hit post, I remembered we call our milk by different names (homo, 2%, 1%, skim)

                          10 Replies
                          1. re: CanadaGirl
                            mels RE: CanadaGirl Aug 29, 2012 09:11 AM

                            Yes, dairy product names between the US and Canada always had me scratching my head. In the US, we have heavy/whipping cream, light cream, or half and half. Canada has coffee cream, cereal cream, blend cream, etc. As an American who spends much time in Canada, I finally learned my milk fat percentages and life is now much easier :)

                            1. re: mels
                              Blush RE: mels Sep 25, 2012 01:16 PM

                              I'm Canadian and have never heard of cereal cream or blend cream. I see heavy/whipping cream, table cream, half and half and light cream. We do not have "fat-free" half and half though (how is that even possible?).

                              And then there's "American cheese" vs our "processed cheese".

                              1. re: Blush
                                mels RE: Blush Sep 26, 2012 11:02 AM

                                Could be regional...these creams are available in the Maritimes.

                                1. re: mels
                                  CanadaGirl RE: mels Oct 3, 2012 09:28 AM

                                  I am in NS, and have both cereal cream and blend in my grocery stores. Looks like you're onto something with the regional thing :)

                            2. re: CanadaGirl
                              cacruden RE: CanadaGirl Sep 28, 2012 05:34 AM

                              Ice Tea, Sweet Tea are different as well in Canada. And of course if you order a Caesar at a bar - you will get a blank look :p Soda pop - is soda in the US, and pop in Canada. And if you drink too much you will be asking for the washroom - which is a Canadian term - although Americans will likely figure it out as well as know that you are Canadian :o

                              Yes, Bell Peppers are generally called Peppers in Canada though labelled Bell Peppers. I rarely buy them - a little expensive here.... and Thai chilies are everywhere....

                              1. re: cacruden
                                Caitlin McGrath RE: cacruden Oct 11, 2012 07:54 PM

                                "Soda pop - is soda in the US, and pop in Canada."

                                Not so fast there, buddy! The name that carbonated soft drinks go by in the US is highly, highly regional, and include pop, soda, and coke (as a generic term). There's a map to prove it, county by county: http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/...

                              2. re: CanadaGirl
                                topbanana RE: CanadaGirl Oct 3, 2012 09:18 PM

                                I tend to hear Americans refer to whole wheat bread as "wheat bread" and white bread as just "bread". This doesn't seem to be a Canadian thing.

                                1. re: topbanana
                                  CanadaGirl RE: topbanana Oct 4, 2012 02:40 AM

                                  Doesn't sound familiar. Isn't most bread wheat? :)

                                  1. re: topbanana
                                    Wahooty RE: topbanana Oct 5, 2012 09:31 PM

                                    In the States, I'm used to (mainly in diners) "wheat" toast, which is that bread that's somewhere in the no-man's-land between white and 100% whole wheat. In Canada, I was given a choice between "white or brown?" toast, which I found much more appropriate and relatable. :)

                                    1. re: Wahooty
                                      Blush RE: Wahooty Oct 9, 2012 02:09 PM

                                      Yep, Canadian here, and I grew up with "white or brown bread?"

                                2. t
                                  tastesgoodwhatisit RE: pikawicca Sep 25, 2012 08:44 PM

                                  Canadian here...

                                  I would call them "green pepper", "yellow pepper" and "red pepper", and would add the term "chili" or "hot" to describe spicy peppers. I'm not sure I've ever used the term bell pepper.

                                  1. Midknight RE: pikawicca Sep 26, 2012 11:34 AM

                                    Another Canadian here, Toronto to be exact. I've always seen them refer to as red/green/yellow bell peppers.
                                    Colour then type of pepper what I've always seen for most all peppers. Red sheppards pepper, red chili peppers, etc.

                                    1. z
                                      Zalbar RE: pikawicca Oct 5, 2012 08:37 AM

                                      I've always used/heard them called "color" pepper. So red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper means a bell pepper of that color.

                                      1. m
                                        Maximilien RE: pikawicca Oct 5, 2012 08:51 AM

                                        Me think people who use "capsicum" are the same people who use the term "protein" when talking about meat and fish...


                                        On the subject, we've always used "red pepper" (piment rouge) and when talking about "hot" peppers, we go for the generic "hot pepper" or go by variety name (serrano, habeneros, ...)

                                        Show Hidden Posts