Best restaurant veggie burger?
Are you talking about the black bean veggie burger at Houston's? That company has another restaurant chain that has actually been taking over some of the Houston's around the country...it's called Hillstone. Somehow their veggie burger is even better than the original Houston's veggie burger. This one is brown rice, almonds, veggies, topped with swiss cheese, arugula, cracked pepper and lemon juice. So. GOOD. I don't know what it is about that restaurant group...but they make a damn good veggie burger. Never found one better.
NO !! Houston / Hillstone veggie burger hands down is the BEST. But I gotta give J.Alexander props for their copy-cat veggie burger. Everything about J.Alexander is mirror image of Houston, that I argued with my waiter that they had to be owned by Hillstone.
Houston's says the patty itself is vegan but the bun is grilled in butter which makes it so good!! They're so expensive in NYC $18, so this is my version which is pretty close to the taste & lot cheaper. I'm impressed, that I made extra batch of patties and froze them. If you have any suggestion to improve, please let me know.
2 tablespoons Soy
2 tablespoons Molasses
2 tablespoons Honey
2 tablespoon Hoisin
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I used pre-cooked frozen rice from Wholefoods)
2 cups Soaked,cooked dry black beans, drained or (15 ounce) can black beans rinse& drained
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 beets,roasted, finely chopped or 2 tablespoons of canned beets (drained & chopped)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 Medjool dates, diced could also use prunes/ figs
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 egg portion of Ener-G Egg Replacer (to bind) or 2 egg whites
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Homemade BBQ Sauce - Stir together 2 tablespoons each of Soy, Molasses, Honey and Hoisin. set to the side.
2. Salute Onion & Garlic until soft, not brown. At same time Roast two beets -little olive oil and salt sealed in aluminum foil at 375 till soft to the touch.
3. In a large bowl, mash the beans slightly. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the barbecue mixture (reserving remaining for brushing) and remaining ingredients -- rice through Ener-g egg. Place in Refrigerator for 1 hour prior to forming into into four 6 oz patties.
4. Get a cast iron skillet smoking, add a coat of olive oil. Grill burgers for 2 minutes on one side. Turn and brush with remaining BBQ sauce mixture, Top with your version of cheese if you wish & grill for another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions and mustard on a bun which has been grilled in Earth Balance vegan butter spreads.
I think it nailed the patty really close to Houston's/Hillstone, but their homemade bun is very special too.
imho, there are two categories of veggie burgers: 1) the fake-meat variety that tries to mimic the flavor and consistency of meat, and
2) the vegetable patty variety
In Los Angeles,
1) fake-meat variety award goes to Veggie Grill (it's a small chain)
2) vegetable patty variety is a split decision :
a) the homemade burger served at Houston's and
b) the home-made burger served at The Counter (another small chain)