HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

What are these little cakes called!?

sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 12:30 AM

So, this is going to be a rather silly question but, hopefully someone somewhere knows what I am talking about. Around the holidays (at least I think that's when they seem most popular) some people bring in these little cake like treats into work.. to best describe them - they are little square cakes with some kind of chocolate coating and the ones I've had tasted like they MIGHT have a little bit of liqueur in them. They are really rich. A co-worker told me what they were called but I totally forgot and I've been trying to find a recipe for them but, can't look for them without the actual name.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. mamachef RE: sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 01:26 AM

    Were they Petit Fours? Usually those are frosted w/ pastel frostings, but they surely can be done with chocolate.

    10 Replies
    1. re: mamachef
      sunshine842 RE: mamachef Aug 15, 2012 01:29 AM

      LOL - great minds...this thread is duplicated, and I just posted the same answer on the other one.

      1. re: mamachef
        Harters RE: mamachef Aug 15, 2012 03:06 AM

        Petit Fours (little bakes) are great. I love them when restaurants serve them with coffee at the end of a meal. It can often show off the real skills of their pastry chefs - although I know many are bought in from wholesalers.

        1. re: Harters
          mamachef RE: Harters Aug 15, 2012 05:22 AM

          Harters, I completely agree. The commercial ones taste uncannily of sawdust, and the icing is weird texturally and tastewise. HOWEVAH: a well-prepared one is such a nice little bite or two. I'd never considered making them with liquer, but I'm definitely filing that one away for future reference. I do some baking for a local Synagogue, and Petit Fours would be a terriffic addition to the lineup of usuals. Since we have kids tables and adults tables, the boozy ones wouldn't be a problem. Boy, it does sound like the OP got some nice ones, eh?

          1. re: mamachef
            Harters RE: mamachef Aug 15, 2012 06:03 AM

            We celebrated at a Michelin 3* place on Sunday evening. It has always had a reputation for outstanding pastry work and the petit fours were, I think, the best we've ever had. Unfortunately, we didnt keep notes of what they were.

          2. re: Harters
            sickfilms RE: Harters Aug 15, 2012 09:33 AM

            Thanks for all your answers!

          3. re: mamachef
            sickfilms RE: mamachef Aug 15, 2012 09:33 AM

            You know, I'm really starting to believe they were Petit Fours although they all seemed to be really chocolaty and of a richer consistency but then again, I've never had a non-holiday one so i'm not sure if these were different or what. I swear they had some kind of liqueur in them. Oh and not to mention they were STORE BOUGHT. I guess they aren't as popular as I thought though..

            1. re: sickfilms
              sunshine842 RE: sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 09:37 AM

              despite our jokes about great minds, there just aren't all that many things that fit your description..."little square cakes with some kind of chocolate coating " would get an answer of "petits fours" from most folks who know their way around a kitchen.

              It might not be...but it's a good place to start looking -- and lucky for you to get such good ones!

              1. re: sickfilms
                Harters RE: sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 10:54 AM

                It's the "cake" that's getting us to suggest petit fours.

                Where I am, they often come covered in chocolate, sometimes have booze in them and, yes, you can buy them in shops (although here usually only around Christmas)

                1. re: sickfilms
                  Pia RE: sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 11:38 AM

                  Where do you live? Petit fours match your description but there could also be something popular near you that's similar. Anyone can take little cake cubes and cover them with chocolate. Also, petit fours are typically layered, with jam and/or marzipan. Are yours just blocks of cake, or do they have layers and other ingredients?

                  1. re: Pia
                    mamachef RE: Pia Aug 16, 2012 12:40 PM

                    Classic petit fours are just cake - they got all fancied up somewheres down the line; hence the layerings, fillings, etc.

              2. EM23 RE: sickfilms Aug 15, 2012 11:45 AM

                Chocolate and holidays made me think of Seven-layer cookies that are covered with dark chocolate and are especially popular around the holidays.

                1 Reply
                1. re: EM23
                  mamachef RE: EM23 Aug 16, 2012 12:38 PM

                  But the inner appearence of those is so distinctive - I'm sure it's one of the first thing the OP would have mentioned, if that were the case.

                2. ladooShoppe RE: sickfilms Aug 16, 2012 12:43 PM

                  Could they be nanaimo bars?

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: ladooShoppe
                    mamachef RE: ladooShoppe Aug 16, 2012 01:28 PM

                    No. Totally different than anything even close to what the OP offered by way of description, even with liberal translation. :) Those cookies and bars are just so distinctive.....they're way "more" than, and very different from, just glazed cakes.

                  Show Hidden Posts