Special dinner, KC
We have an important anniversary and a less notable birthday to celebrate. I'd like a place that is fancy and delicious, but not self inflated.
We've been toying w Justus Drugstore, but wonder if it is worth the fuss.
Places we don't want to go to:
- reiger hotel- I think their chef over reaches. I've had too many exceptionally mediocre dishes.
- west side local- looking for some place a little fancier.
- Julian - I was unimpressed by brunch there
- bluebird bistro- we went there last year for the birthday dinner and were very underwhelmed, particularly by the vastly overwhelming amounts of fruity salad dressings.
Whenever I go to KC, I always try to get into bluestem. Their prix fixe is fairly cheap and always delicious, local foods.
There is also a chop house down there called Capital Grille that we really liked. Nice, aged steaks. Excellent apps, wine, and desserts.
Frankly, there are only two real choices if I am understanding what you want....really great food and really great atmophere and service:
1) Capital Grille....anyone who says there is a better steak house anywhere is mistaken. Cool vibe, plenty of "action"...great bar and fabulous food. Try the truffle fries but ask for the shallot butter sause to dip them in....an absolute luxury!
2) Bluestem...Personally, I think it is a little pretentious, and would opt for Capital Grille, but in all fairness, it is the only other place in KC that seems to me to fit your requirements.
We don't eat much meat, so steak or BBQ isn't rly our cup of tea.
Can you tell me more about the American?
My OP was a bit cranky. Here are some places we love:
Port Fonda's trailer
Royale genesse bistro- I think the food is great, but the decor is a tad over done
Lil Freshie- so chic, simple, delicious