HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

What is this copper pot for?

sabrina Aug 4, 2012 02:48 PM

We've just been given this copper pot which came from France.
Does anyone know what it is used for?



  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. tim irvine RE: sabrina Aug 4, 2012 02:53 PM

    It looks like the bottom piece of a Bain Marie.

    1 Reply
    1. re: tim irvine
      John Francis RE: tim irvine Aug 5, 2012 03:50 PM

      Or a double boiler.

    2. kaleokahu RE: sabrina Aug 5, 2012 07:23 PM

      Hi, Sabrina:

      Yes, I agree--it's the bottom of a bain marie (double boiler).


      1. tim irvine RE: sabrina Aug 7, 2012 08:13 PM

        I have an old Waldow very much like it, and I love it. I have seen replacement ceramic inserts at Bridge. IMO the handle for the insert and the lid are pointless. Who has ever had Hollandaise or Bernaise sit under a lid keeping warm? If you made too much, use a spoon or bread.

        5 Replies
        1. re: tim irvine
          kaleokahu RE: tim irvine Aug 7, 2012 09:50 PM

          ...or a straw?

          1. re: tim irvine
            John Francis RE: tim irvine Aug 8, 2012 06:56 AM

            The inserts of many double boilers come with a handle and a lid, including the best-selling Pyrex that my parents had way back when. The handle is for pouring out the contents, and the lid for slow cooking that doesn't need constant stirring. If you don't need a lid and handle, you don't need a dedicated double boiler - a saucepan and mixing bowl will do the job

            1. re: John Francis
              tim irvine RE: John Francis Aug 8, 2012 04:29 PM

              True, but my most common use is a single serving of impromptu Bernaise. I use a small silicone spatula with a bit of a bowl to put a little on a steak. The shape is much easier to use for small amounts than a bowl over a saucepan.

            2. re: tim irvine
              tudai4 RE: tim irvine Oct 1, 2012 12:56 PM

              Hi Tim. What is Bridge? I need a replacement insert and I can't seem to find anything online.

              1. re: tudai4
                tim irvine RE: tudai4 Oct 1, 2012 05:08 PM


                Above is a link to Bridge Kitchenware. Neat store, good sales.

            3. b
              Bigjim68 RE: sabrina Feb 2, 2013 05:18 PM

              I stumbled on this old thread. I have an identical pot and I bought it with a lid. It had never occurred to me that I was missing a part.

              Mine is made from two pieces of sheet copper, bottom in one piece and the sides are rolled over at the top, and tin lined. The pot is so well made that I have never been able to locate the side seam. The bottom is crimped.

              The reason for this post is that there is a similar pot on Ebay that appears to be a later version but it is complete with the porclain section.

              I thought I would share the information.

              Show Hidden Posts