We will have 1 day from 8-4 in Halifax. One day in St.Johns from 9-3. We are on the Disney Cruise. Help!
We will be there the first full week of August. We will not have a car. All of my life I have wanted to go to Nova Scotia. Please tell me where we need to eat. I don't want to miss anything wonderful. I have been reading the discussion boards all day. Also what should we pack to wear?
this is great idea since you are only here one Day http://localtastingtours.com/
http://fidresto.ca is a great showcase of local food with a known secret if you go to the backdoor Dennis will serve you take out Pad Thai for $10
Sugah! on the waterfront is hand paddled ice cream with lots of Nova Scotia made ingredients available and Big Kahuna which takes 2 people to eat is only $5
in Saint John visit the Farmers Market and take a look up at the roof
Yes - I would agree with the tasting tour, Fid (and I've taken advantage of backdoor pad thai many times now), and Sugah!
Probably a great overview in a limited time.
Do you mean St. John's, Newfoundland or Saint John, New Brunswick? The last person who posted about a Disney cruise was going to Saint John, NB.
If you do mean St. John's, NL, see my recommendations on must-eat foods here:
And in the other Disney cruise thread here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/843361
Halifax is a great city, and you will find lots to do. Some you won't have a car, I'll give suggestions that are within walking distance of the pier where the cruise ships dock.
- Cows Ice Cream is wonderful. It is on the waterfront, about a 10 minute walk north of the cruise ship terminal.
- I like the food at The Battered Fish, also on the waterfront.
- The Grill at Cut has good burgers. They are located on Water St, which is parallel to the water.
- Wooden Monkey is a great spot for local, organic food. It is a favourite of visiting celebs too. They are on Argyle St.
- bistro Le Coq is great , also on Argyle St.
- The cruise ships dock behind the Seaport Market. Depending on the day, there are lots of choices there.
I recommend the Harbour Hopper tour, as well as a visit to Citadel Hill
You will be here in the middle of the summer, so you will need summer clothes. I'm not sure where you are departing from, but I know some Disney cruises depart from NYC. The weather in Halifax won't be too different from that in NYC in August.
Also, I suspect you will be going to Saint John, not St. John's. Saint John is in New Brunswick, while St. John's is in Newfoundland. I don't think Disney goes to Newfoundland.