Singapore - Fab Israeli Snacks by Reena Pushkarna
- klyeoh Jul 21, 2012 09:28 AM
Israel's "Queen of Curry", Reena Pushkarna, opened her distant outpost at Singapore's Marina Bay Sands Resort late last year, churning some of the best falafel and shakshuka I'd ever tasted on this side of the Pacific.
What we had for lunch today:
- Falafel - crisp, fresh, absolutely delicious with pita bread & tahini;
- Red shakshuka, a delicious ratatouille-like tomato-onion-capsicum stew with two eggs coddled inside - divine!
- Green shakshuka, which consisted of spinach, basil, sweet peppers & cumin-corinader,topped with halloumi cheese. Not as tasty as the red verson, but still delicious.
- Baba Ghanoush (which has the "rough" texture I preferred over the smooth version) and Hummus (a bit too thin & liquid here) dips,served with pillowy-soft pita breads.
Have to come back again to try other stuff on the menu.The place really made one feel like one's in a cafe in Tel Aviv.
Pita Pan (Marina Bay Sands)
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
#01-87, 2 Bayfront Avenue
I tried this place after visiting the Titanic exhibition at the Arts & Science Museum a few months ago. I loved it!
My favourite are the falafel patties anf fattoush salad.
I've not tried this place yet. Punjab Grill is my favourite place at the moment when it comes to Marina Bay Sands. I really need to move past it ;)
Don't like Makanpura - too expensive and the food there aren't great (sorry, KF Seetoh!)
Like Mozza, CUT, DB Bistro Moderne, Hide Yamamato, Imperial Treasure, Moluccas.
Don't like Guy Savoy, Waku Ghin - over-priced, under-deliver.
I like Hide Yamamoto more, but maybe because ofthe ambience and the wonderful service. Foodwise, I think you only need fresh, high-grade seafood since no cooking is involved.
By the way, I tried Pita Pan (FINALLY!) and loved the red shakshuka. I'm dreaming of it now even as I write this :)
icic. will try hide yamamoto some time! thanks for the recommendation!
almost made it to pita pan yesterday, but was worried it might not be open because of the holidays (and no one answered the phone). ended up at imperial treasure super peking duck at asia square. the cutting is not as good as the paragon branch - too much actual meat was cut, which destroyed the duck skin-meat ratio.