Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jul 10, 2012 07:36 AM

Old school aluminium cookware, cast iron handle - where can I find it?

Hi, can any of you tell me where I could find heavy gauge aluminium cookware with a cast iron handle, preferably a large, fairly deep saute pan? Think they are fairly retro nowadays, they appear in older cookery clips in commercial kitchens usually. Does anybody still make it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Hi, Robinson:

    New aluminum saute w/ CI handle isn't going to be easy. If cast SS handles are OK (stay even cooler than CI), try

    If you must have Al+CI, I think you'll have to scrounge. Some early 20th C French makers (e.g., Mauviel, Jaquotot, Gaillard) made some really good, thick aluminum pans with CI handles, but they are very hard to find.


    4 Replies
    1. re: kaleokahu

      Hi Kaleo,

      Thanks for the response. Not too keen on the Vollrath really thin handles, find them a bit strange to use. Guess I am searching for the old stuff then!


      1. re: Robinson88

        My friend Alarash recently sold some Mauviel saucepans like this. I'll see if he has any more.

        Another idea would be to scrounge a CI handle or two, and have them put on new Al pans. PITA, but doable--you might have a few blind rivet holes.

        1. re: kaleokahu

          Thanks a lot.

          Will try and find a picture, although even Google images is struggling.

          1. re: kaleokahu

            I've seen the Mauviel ones on ebay and they were pretty reasonable.