Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jul 9, 2012 08:20 AM

Stainless Steel Afcionados

T331 Stainless Steel. What does it mean?

I've searched around and I think I became more confused than anything. This is what Rada Cutlery uses on their non-knife utensils.

I thought the T stood for Tungsten alloy, but the rep said it was just stainless steel... I'm assuming that means without tungsten, which I've read gives particular properties.

Is this a good or common grade steel to use for kitchen items?

Anyway this partly out of trying to make a purchasing decision and partly out of nerdy curiosity.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Hi, rores28:

    I believe it's a 300-series (Austenitic) steel with titanium. 300-series steels are indeed very common, comprising about 70% of production. 331 however is not particularly common, but the basic composition of all 300-series steels is 18% chromium and 8% nickel (i.e., good 'ole 18/8). It is non-magnetic, and therefor useless in itself for induction. It also will not harden.

    Watch out for claims by "waterless" cookware makers that they use special "surgical" or "aerospace" grade SS with Titantium (e.g., 316Ti). There is no practical cooking advantage of these steels--it's just a(nother of their many) gimmick to make their pans sound healthier and to justify their outrageous prices. These steels are made for increased corrosion resistance in harsh chemical environments at temperatures >800F--not for pots and pans.