Great food near MOMA
I will be staying at the Warwick for a few days in August. It's in MIdtown near MOMA. What restaurants I may have read about in NYT or food mags are nearby? I am 66 and due to meds, can't take the heat or a lot of walking but I am a dedicated Chowhound.
Within a few blocks:
The Modern - formal dining room or the more casual Bar Room
Ma Peche - David Chang's midtown restaurant with the associated Momofuku Milk Bar bakery connected in the front area
Halal Guys - 53rd & 6th, street cart, the line may be too long for you, southeast corner during the day, southwest at night... beware the imposters on the SW corner during the day.
Are you willing to take a taxi downtown for your meals?
Since Warwick is on 54th Street between 5th Ave & 6th Ave:
* Le Bernardin (51st Street between 6th Ave & 7th Ave)
* The Modern (53rd Street between 5th Ave & Avenue Of The Americas)
* Adour Alain Ducasse (55th Street between 5th Ave & Madison Ave)
* Benoit (55th Street between 5th Ave & 6th Ave)
* Momofuku Má Pêche (56th Street between 5th Ave & 6th Ave)
* Gordon Ramsay at The London/ Maze (54th Street between 6th Ave & 7th Ave) - I don't like it personally
* Nobu 57 (57th Street between 5th Ave & 6th Ave) - I don't like it personally
This is a tough neighborhood for value, but some options could be:
Benoit at the bar can be accessible, and the bar tender is a great guy.
Topaz is good Thai.
My favorite Halal guys on on 53/6, as Kathryn noted.
Fika is good coffee and some other skandi dishes.
There is a Joe's Shanghai, everyone will say the downtown one is better, and it is, but it is a pretty classic NYC place, if you want to approximate the experience.
Over east there seem to be some better options in the 50s, but I dont know the area as well.
I just go to Pret on 56/6 for about 2/3s of my caloric intake, ha, Im sure its not what you are looking for but it is a very safe, cheap option.
There are some good options in the area. I'd recommend:
Szechuan Gourmet on 56th Street, between 7th and 8th Ave
PizzArte on 55th Street, between 5th and 6th Ave
Don Anotonio (pizza) on 50th Street, between 8th and 9th Ave (closer to 8th)
Tina's for Cuban on 56th between 5th and 6th.
Katsuhama and Menchenko Tei for Japanese on 55th between 5th and 6th.