Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Jun 29, 2012 07:46 AM

Are Country style ribs the same as pork shoulder, or what are they?

I had read that country ribs are from pork shoulder, but now I just read that they are lean. Saw them at the market and they looked like there was some fat in them, but I don't want to cook them wrong.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. "Lean"' doesn't mean there's no fat on them. It simply means there is less fat than other similar cuts.
    Here's a link dealing with the entire history of Country Style ribs that might help:

    1. Sometimes they come from the shoulder (sometimes called the "butt), sometimes they come from the blade just behind the shoulder.

      Sometimes they are leaner than a typical pork butt, but not always. Regardless of that, you can cook them either relatively fast for a product that will stay together in the end or low and slow for pulled pork.

      I actually prefer to cook them relatively fast so they hold their shape in the end, otherwise if I were looking to make pulled pork I would have just saved money and bought a pork butt. You can grill them over a medium bed of coals until done to your liking then brush heavily with barbecue sauce and glaze over high heat. You could also simply braise them (uncovered) in barbecue sauce.

      1. Country Style Ribs actually come from he Rib End (Roast). You can Roast, Bake, Braise or BBQ/Grill.

        Required viewing:

        2 Replies
        1. re: fourunder

          Good video. A friend band saws a whole bone in Berkshire loin into double thick chops for me and I agree with the butcher in your video that the rib end chops while not pretty are by far the best of the bunch. I used to be able to get the rib end roasts for under a buck a pound.

          1. re: Tom34

            "used to" is the key word(s), unfortunately.

        2. Do they say "loin" on the package? If they're from the loin, at least where I get them, they usually say so. I cook them low and slow still, they just aren't as meltingly tender (but are also much less fatty).

          1. More or less the same. If not exactly the same, then neighbors. They can be cooked the same, except that the 'ribs' are small pieces.