Masala Bar and Grill in Bothell closed
My wife and I stopped at Masala on the Bothell-Everett highway late last week. They are now closed, with a sign on the door saying that they are moving to Northgate.
It looks like we are back to either Mayuri down the road or Clay Pit up the road.
Speaking of which, I received the following email about Mayuri via the King County Public Health Dept. this morning:
Mayuri Indian Cuisine located at 15400 NE 20th St #6, Bellevue, WA 98007 was closed by a Public Health food inspector on July 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm for the following violations:
Potentially hazardous foods at unsafe temperatures
Improper cooling of potentially hazardous food
Inadequate facilities to control temperature of potentially hazardous food, cold holding
Poor personal hygiene practices
Handwashing facilities inaccessible
Failure to correct repeated violations
Active foodborne illness outbreak
The establishment will be reopened once all issues have been resolved.
The Food Establishment Closures homepage is online at www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/hea...
I've never known how I'm supposed to feel about these. I eat overseas in Latin America, Europe, and Asia quite a bit, and most places that I frequent would violate all of these items, and then some. For some French bistro to abide by all these laws would sacrifice much in food preparation methods and tastes. Plus the obligatory shaggy dog that hangs out with the diners. Last time I looked at the King County health inspection website, the highest scorers were chain fast food restaurants. I supposed they all have to follow corporate processes.
In NYC, they make all food places post a letter grade on their front window - lowly sandwich shops to Michelin 3 stars. Everyone posts an 'A'. The one 'B' I saw was packed even at 5pm on a weeknight.
I don't think a restaurant needs to be corporate to ensure that food is held at the right temperatures and that employees follow protocols for hand-washing. With an "active foodborne illness outbreak" this write-up would give me pause. I'm glad that the health department nags restaurants about problems like these and makes sure the worst offenders are closed down until they have (literally) cleaned up their act.