Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > San Francisco Bay Area >
Jun 18, 2012 10:49 AM

where to buy locally: vitrolero aka agua fresca jar

I'm looking for a glass one that can hold at least 3G. I've already visited Costco, Pier 1, Cost Plus, Bev Mo, Mi Puebla and they don't have. Are there any known local sources for this? EBay or SF would be ideal.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I would call some restaurant supply stores and/or drop into your favorite Mexican place and ask where they buy them.

    1 Reply
    1. re: Ruth Lafler

      Or ask a taqueria if you can buy the whole batch of horchata including the jar!

    2. Check out Smart & Final. The Costco in Hayward is a "business center" they have more restaurant supply merchandise than the regular Costco stores.

      3 Replies
      1. re: pamf

        I was thinking of Smart & Final, too. Seems like the kind of thing they'd have. But for heaven's sake call instead of driving around!

        1. re: Ruth Lafler

          Thanks for these suggestions. Believe it or not, quite a few retail people don't know what an agua fresca jar is! I'm drawing some blanks when I describe. They seem to think that 2Q jars with spigots are comparable.

          1. re: rubadubgdub

            I'm guessing if they don't know what it is, they don't have one!

      2. Maybe try the SJ Berryessa flea market.

        1. A couple of years ago I got a GIANT pickle type jar (I'd guess about 2 or 3 gallons) at The Container Store. I recall they had a pretty good selection of glass canning stuff too.

          1. Have you tried East Bay Restaurant Supply or Jetro?

            4 Replies
            1. re: Robert Lauriston

              Jetro is (supposedly) not open to the public. You have to have a business license for a food-related business or be a nonprofit organization. Do they not enforce these rules?

              1. re: Ruth Lafler

                To shop at Jetro you need a membership card. I can't recall what documentation they require to give you one.

                1. re: Robert Lauriston

                  What I posted is what their website states. Apparently it's not like Costco, where basically anyone can get a membership card.

                  1. re: Ruth Lafler

                    They don't make much effort to enforce it, at least not at the Oakland store, which sells retail (i.e. charges sales tax). I think some of the other branches are wholesale-only so they'd have to have a reseller number for each transaction.