Vancouver and Victoria: Best Retail sources for high quality fish, meat and produce
and your suggestions for the best farmers markets in the region
Best meat: The Honest Butcher on W Broadway at about Trutch. Pricey but he does whole animal butchery - visits the farms, all beef is grassed, etc - and it's *excellent*. You can check his Twitter feed for photos & things that he's got in (@honestbutcher).
Fish: Steveston docks( Richmond) are generally pretty good for quality/price..fresher/higher prices on Sat AM, selling off the 2 day older stuff on Sundays for less.
Blue tarps are typically fish (often "boat frozen" though, depending on the season), orange for shrimp.
Get there early, as parking is becoming a nightmare.
My 2c on Victoria:
- FAS seafood
- The Fish Store (fisherman's whart, good for eating too)
- Orr & Sons butcher (3 locations)
- Village Butcher on Oak Bay Ave
- attached to the above, The Whole Beast for cured meats etc
- Slaters Meats on Cadboro Bay Rd
- Red Barn Market (pepperoni, bison pep, also carry local meats if you can't make it directly to a butcher)
- Rootceller Quadra/McKenzie (one stop shopping, unless you want to farm tour it).