Menu help for retirement party
I'm planning my dad's retirement party (june 29th) and need a menu for an outdoor party with anywhere between 30-70 people, most of them foodies or gourmet types. Party starts at 5pm but we have another event elsewhere before so no prepping after noon. I'll probably be doing everything by myself (experienced cook) in the days before.
So I need suggestions for mostly make akead.
Access to a full kitchen and 1 maybe 2 BBQs.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
My ideas so far :
- crostinis (smoked mackerel, mango and crab, smoked salmon)
- Burgers (maybe something with a special meat like bison... need a recipe for this)
- Shrimp skewers
I agree that one smoked fish is enough, and more people like smoked salmon. Perhaps some crostini with goat cheese and figs, or roasted veggies?
I think these things are best when organized around at least some broad thing or things start to get a bit cacophonous.
- Pitas with great traditional dips (melitzanosalata, taramosalata, tzatziki, hummus, great olives), spanikopita pockets, stuffed grape leaves
- Grilled meats and veggies (as simple or as "foodie" as you want) w/ salad
- Hand held mini empanadas, grilled shrimp, good quality guac. and chips
- Tortillas with fixings and chicken in mole (or whatever else)
- Tres Leches Cake (or spiced chocolate cake or whatever)
An elegant chicken salad- maybe served in endive leaves. Cold poached asparagus wrapped in a rosemary ham. Deviled eggs. French potato salad or a fancy pasta salad. For the grilling you could do sliders. Do you have an ice cream maker? You could make a gourmet ice cream with some heat like Aztec chocolate. Or purchase it.