Something creative to do with a HUGE head of cabbage?
I am a fairly good cook who has recently obtained a rather large head of cabbage. I don't really want 200 lbs of coleslaw or corned beef and cabbage? What is something challenging and fun I can do with this sucker?
cabbage soup: borscht.
several varieties of borscht can be made: hot and cold, with or without beets, with or without tomatoes.
in Azerbaijani cuisine and Iranian cuisine borscht is usually based on with cabbage.
in other parts of the world it is primarily beet-based but may still contain copious amounts of cabbage.
grilling is an oft-overlooked (and delicious!) option. and if you don't have a grill, a cast-iron pan will produce similarly tasty results.
slice the cabbage in half - leaving the core intact - then cut the halves into thick slices. brush the slices with oil, season with salt & pepper, and lay them on a hot grill (or in a hot cast iron pan). cook on each side until softened and lightly charred but not blackened.
you can serve it as-is, or season/jazz it up further:
- serve with a lemony vinaigrette and shaved Parm
- drizzle with good aged balsamic
- serve as a composed salad with tomato, bacon, shaved Parm and a buttermilk dressing
- drizzle with a vinaigrette of tamari or soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar, and garnish with toasted sesame seeds, minced scallion & cilantro, basil or mint (you can also add a dash of sriracha or a pinch of chile for some heat)
- drizzle with a mustardy sherry vinaigrette and garnish with toasted caraway seeds
you get the idea ;)