Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
May 23, 2012 07:32 PM

looking for a cheese grater for crumbly cheese

My mother had a cheese grater that was basically thin metal rods/wires that criss-crossed in a horizontal and vertical pattern and was attached to a rectangular frame and had a handle. It was great (pun intended) for crumbling softer cheeses. Box graters with larger holes tend to get messy, but with her grater there was less surface space and more edges to grate with. In retrospect, they probably go rid of them because of the potential cutting accidents. if anyone recalls the style of grater please let me know. Is there a specific name for it? Is it still being manufactured? I am not big on having specialized gadgets but this sort of gadget would come in handy. Thanks

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I don't know that type of grater, but for crumbly cheese I like a rotary grater

    something like that might work for you

    but maybe you mean something like:

    in which case I'd just use a microplane anyways, they are by far my grater of choice for anything.

    2 Replies
      1. re: free sample addict aka Tracy L

        Great multitasker! Still have a very old one kicking around.