few questions in boston w/kids (times) and foxborough.
ny state ch'er here, coming to boston from thursday - monday over memorial day weekend with my wife (allergic to shellfish) and well-behaved kids (10, 6). hot or spicy is out, but the kids eat reasonably well (veggies are ok, they love pork buns and will try most things). i've been to boston a few times, but not in the last six years. i am NOT driving around town, so it's all public transport (and we'll get the week card for the T). i've read through the archives, so hopefully i'm not repeating any previously asked questions.
1) we're going to the museum of science. if we go during the week, we're going to similans. but on sunday, lots of places are closed - so what's tolerable at the riverview cafe in the museum?
2) friday, we're stopping at jasper white's summer shack before the game at fenway. is 4:30 early enough to get out before 545 with no appetizers/dessert, just main meals?
3) we may eat at myers & chang. is it somewhere that is ok for kids if we're there at 5/530 on thursday or saturday, or would it be easier / better to go there for lunch?
4) is 5pm/530 on a sunday ok to eat at ICOB with kids? they have reservations open, and we try to bring our kids to 'adult' places earlier in the evening.
5) we're leaving monday for 5 wits in foxborough. is there any place on the way down there that's good and somewhat quick food? i wish kelly's was on the way there, but it's not, so i'm hoping there's some kind of similar place on the way. if not, we may just go west and hit up kelly's that way. ko would be perfect if only they were open on mondays...
thanks for answering my questions...
(1) I was just at the MOS last Friday with our son. The cafe is a huge noisy overwhelming place, less so if you don't try to eat at peak hours. I don't think the pizza or the mac and cheese is that bad, and the mexican booth is ok without being very good. Salad bar also edible. It's hard to bring your own food when you are staying in a hotel...the Cambridgeside Galeria isn't that far away and they have a food court. The food at the MOS cafe is in my opinion far better than the food at the MFA cafeteria or the aquarium so that's the "standard" I'm using here!
MOS is mobbed mobbed mobbed on weekends and school holidays.
Agree on 5 guys for fast / kid friendly at Patriot Place. If you can spare a bit more time though, there is also Tavolino, which I enjoy and bring my kids to frequenly. They have very good flatbread pizzas (esp fig/prosciutto), apps, and salads. The pastas are passable, but inconsistent. I can't find the kids menu online, but I remember it having lots of small portion / real food choices.
thanks for the replies everyone, you've eliminated most of my concerns!
sorry, should have clarified about the summer shack - yes, it's the one 3/4 mile from fenway. i got the pan roasted lobster years ago and loved it, plus know the kids would find it enjoyable to eat.
glad that myers + chang & ICOB will work out as well, that's awesome to hear.
i was mentioning kelly's for the roast beef and ko for the meat pies, not ko prime (sorry for the confusion). was figuring we'd hit up ko on the way out of boston and the kids and wife could eat while i was driving down to foxborough. i do know that some places may not be open because it's memorial day, but i'm checking in some of the other towns as chris vr mentioned because they're so close to foxborough.
oh, kat, 5 wits = interactive adventure game place in foxborough, at patriot place.
1) I always pack a lunch to visit the MOS because the food at the cafe there is expensive and greasy. Greasy pizza, fries, chicken nuggets, etc. Eat a light lunch and enjoy a good dinner elsewhere afterward. There really is not much there that is chow friendly. Pre-packaged sandwiches, bananas, coffee, etc at tthe coffee stand is probably as healthy as it gets there.
2) Summer Shack is at Fresh Pond in Cambridge, far away from Fenway, are you sure this is the place that you meant?
3) Don't know.
4) Yes! ICOB is a great restaurant, it will be fine with kids at that hour, even later. I saw a baby there at 7 p.m. It is a loud, buzzy restaurant, so no worries about interrupting other people's quiet meals.
5) What is " 5 wits" in Foxborough?
1) The MOS salad bar is not bad.
2) I assume you mean the Summer Shack in Back Bay. They move pretty quickly there and that's a slow time of day, so you should definitely get out of there by 5:45.
4) agree with Kat, you'll be fine.
5) I wouldn't go out of your way to go to Kelly's, definitely not to Natick when you need to end up in Foxborough. We often end up at Hearth 'n Kettle when we are in that area with our kids, but it's in Attleboro, past where you're going and not really worth going that far out of your way for. You might find some suggestions doing a search here for some of the towns on your way (Norwood, Walpole, Foxborough, maybe even Wrentham.)
there is a summer shack in boston, walking distance from fenway. op is asking for just over an hour turn-around to get out? explain this to your server and be ready to order as soon as possible. should be fine.
meyers and chang will be fine at that time with the kids. it's not a quiet place either.
not sure why you're disappointed about ko p;rime being closed on Mondays? is that where you're staying?