HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Help! What is this thing called? (Tonkatsu holder / stand / grate thing)

tzakiel May 6, 2012 12:45 PM

I can't find the name of this anywhere, and so it's very hard to find for sale, either. It holds the meat up off the plate so that it stays crispy.

I want to buy a set, because I'm cooking tonkatsu so much. It's always served this way in Japan. Anyone know the Japanese characters for this or have a link? I found them once on Amazon Japan, but I forget how... now I can't find it again.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. tzakiel RE: tzakiel May 6, 2012 01:04 PM

    Hmm... well I've made it one step closer... these characters bring up what I want in google images:

    盛付網(飾り網) 半月型

    3 Replies
    1. re: tzakiel
      goodhealthgourmet RE: tzakiel May 6, 2012 01:23 PM

      do a complete Google search instead of limiting it to images, and click "translate this page" for any of the links that comes up - it should be in the second line of every search result.

      1. re: goodhealthgourmet
        tzakiel RE: goodhealthgourmet May 6, 2012 01:34 PM

        Yea, I've been finding some sites... but all Japanese. I don't think amazon japan ships to the usa... at least not home goods.

        1. re: tzakiel
          tzakiel RE: tzakiel May 6, 2012 01:39 PM

          Guess I've boiled it down: とんかつアミ "tonkatsu tsuami" or tonkatsu mesh. Still no idea where to buy one from the united states, however :[

    2. suzigirl RE: tzakiel May 6, 2012 01:56 PM

      Do you have any Asian markets in your area? You may find one there. I am intrigued and want to go to mine tomorrow and search. They have lots of gadgets in the ones near me. Please don't think I'm a knucklehead if you've already done this.

      2 Replies
      1. re: suzigirl
        tzakiel RE: suzigirl May 6, 2012 01:58 PM

        I have a ton... northern Virginia is full of them! Great for ingredients and stuff but the actual tableware is lacking. The markets are mostly Korean with one or two Chinese markets around. I'll take a look at a few but I have my doubts... :) There is one small Japanese market called Maruichi in Maryland, but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

        1. re: tzakiel
          goodhealthgourmet RE: tzakiel May 7, 2012 05:33 PM

          how about a different approach. are there any Japanese restaurants in your area that serve tonkatsu on those wire mesh stands? you can ask where they get them...

      2. tanuki soup RE: tzakiel May 7, 2012 05:19 AM

        Here's a link to Rakuten's global site for "tonkatsu ami". A lot of the shops at Rakuten will ship overseas, but it might be a bit expensive. Good luck!


        4 Replies
        1. re: tanuki soup
          thimes RE: tanuki soup May 7, 2012 07:23 AM

          I was just looking around - that site has what you are looking for . . .


          They called it "18-8 half moon crimp eyes pork cutlet nets" on that site - curious name.

          1. re: thimes
            tzakiel RE: thimes May 8, 2012 12:15 PM

            Cool... at least there is some source, then. $13 each? Or does that mean 18, or 8 of them I wonder?

            1. re: tzakiel
              MikeG RE: tzakiel May 8, 2012 12:33 PM

              The 18/8 probably refers to the (decent quality) type of stainless steel it's made of. Fwiw, for various reasons, $13 is not at all out of line for a Japanese product like that.

            2. re: thimes
              tanuki soup RE: thimes May 10, 2012 03:24 AM

              Yeah, the translations at Rakuten can be really bizarre sometimes. That's whey they always include the disclaimer "This page is a simplified edition of an original Japanese page and has been translated by machine."

          Show Hidden Posts