Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Apr 12, 2012 05:32 PM

What is this All-Clad pot?

I picked up a seconhand All-Clad pot today and I cannot identify it. It is not a saucier or normal sauce pot. It doesn't match any of the shapes on All-Clad's web site's "shape identifier." It is closest to a sauce pot in proportions, but is bowed in the middle like a little cauldron. The top and bottom are narrower. It's only clad on the bottom and is about 3 quarts in capacity (based on filling it from my 3 quart saucier). It has two helper handles, but no long handle. Does anyone know what this pot is supposed to be for?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Well, ladies and gents, it seems that I've bought myself a fondue pot. Not a set, but just the pot. Which makes sense because when I looked at in the store, I thought how it might work well with my double-boiler inserts as there's lots of room for hot water and steam to circulate. My inserts mostly fit, but there is room for steam to escape, so it is not ideal. I'd had in mind using it to replace my 2 qt pot that I use for my double-boiler as well as pasta boiling. Can I use this pot for that? Can it stand being used on the stovetop?

    2 Replies
    1. re: SailingChef

      According to this, it can be used on a stovetop with some sort of aluminum insert. Did you get that?

      Edit to add: Reading again, I'm not so sure the insert is vital to have for stovetop use. It'll be interesting to see what others think.

      1. re: Leepa

        Naw, I just got the pot. But, thanks for the link! I'm starting to think I'll get $6 of use out of it anyway!

    2. Well, I went back to the same thrift store and found the support for the pot for another $3. The ceramic insert and top chrome bit were missing. Drat. The ceramic insert would have been nice for sure.