Challenge: Fantastic Group Dinner Spot? Help Please!
I'm taking my vegetarian girlfriend (eats seafood and eggs but prefers dishes moslty without them) and about 10 or 12 other people out for a group dinner the first week in May. We will be less than 15 people most likely (all in our mid/late 20s), and it will ideally be on a Monday (which I mention only because I'm finding that many restaurants are not open on Monday!)...
- Around (hopefully less than) $100/p after wine and gratuity
- group dining menu (as opposed to all ordering individually)
- vegetarian friendly, simple, and delicious (I've had my eye on both Suenos and Zi'Pep; the former isn't open on Mondays and the latter doesn't have a group dining menu... I've also looked at Co, the pizza place in Chelsea, but they have very strange timing restrictions)
- churros on the dessert menu
- fun or otherwise unusually cool atmosphere (not necessarily upscale)
Any ideas?! I'd be extremely grateful for any help!
You can try Mercadito (there are few different locations) they have a number of group dining menus and some vegetarian options...there are no churros but there are other interesting mexican desserts plus it certainly won't run you nearly $100pp even if you all did the open bar option.
Another great place is Otto...it's italian...they have a lot of great options, an amazing wine list and have group dining options as well!
Im not 100% certain that there arent restrictive timings (but I think on weekdays you should be ok) but to meet a lot of your other requirements, consider giving Roberta's in Brooklyn a call. They have group dinner options that allow you to reserve space, are generally really nice and flexible about arrangements and would be a good choice if your group isnt averse to taking the L train out of the city a few stops.
Thanks to all replies so far! Mercadito looks perfect for cuisine and price. I've been there once a year or so back, and I remember the portions and the space were both teeny tiny! I will call to make sure they could fit my group, but that might be the winner!
Supper also looks great. I reached out to them to check out their group menu.
Thanks again everyone!
P.S. Roberta's looks delish but I think we need more than their menu has, and we'd also like to stay in Manhattan... sorry forgot that on the list!