Cooking for a Cause Fundraiser, March 30 2012
Last night was the Cooking for a Cause fundraiser for East End House of Cambridge. Highlights, in no particular order:
1. Surprisingly good pulled pork sandwich from Tremont 347. ECG Cuban pulled pork at the next table wasn't nearly as good (and we love ECG).
2. Island Creek Oyster Bar had some kind of lobster roe / orzo / puree of something that my wife raved about.
3. Hawthorne was mixing a variation on the French 75 cocktail that had me thinking I ought to visit. Craigie on Main had a decent cocktail as well, though I'm not remembering what it was...
4. My overall favorite may have been the "caramel corn cake" from Area Four. A brown sugar mini-cupcake, with popcorn-infused buttercream frosting topped with a single, homemade crackerjack. Unreal.
5. Superb meatball from Il Casale/Dante. And Chef Dante was polite enough to take my dirty plates when I had been unable to find a disposal area. For me, anyway, a big part of the experience is seeing the extent to which the chefs and owners are going out of their way to ensure folks enjoy themselves and to promote the cause.
6. Decent lamb kibbeh (sp?) with tzatziki from Grill 23
7. Took more generosity than effort to open bottle after bottle, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Pretty Things was pouring Jack d'Or and St. Botolph's Town.