Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Mar 22, 2012 11:43 AM

Nigella Sticky Toffee Pudding question

I'm planning on making the Nigella Lawson Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe. It calls for a 1 1/2 liter baking dish (approximately 1 1/2 quarts). The picture accompanying the recipe looks like a a ceramic pie plate. But aren't most pudding dishes deeper? For those who have made this, what kind of baking dish did you use?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Having a thinner pudding will give you a higher sauce to pudding ratio... which I like.

    1. i don't know about her recipe, but many (all?) versions of this 'pudding' are really cakes (as used by Americans). That is, they are baked, not steamed. So a cake pan, or even pie plate would work. The shallower pan would produce a more brownie like cake.

      1 Reply
      1. re: paulj

        paulj is right. The traditional British sticky toffee pudding is about the thickness of an American brownie.

      2. I used a 9"x13" jaykayen get a better sause to pudding ration as well as
        feed more people.

        1. I ended up making it in a deep dish pie plate and it turned out well. It's not really sticky toffee pudding, but it was easy and people seemed to like it. Will make a more traditional recipe next time.

          1. is there a possibility of someone posting her recipe?
            I can't find it myself.

            1 Reply