Chinese Noodles - Yummy Lan Zhou vs Nan Zhou
Was at Nanzhou three weeks ago and Yummy Lanzhou about two months ago.
I had beef tendon pulled noodle soup while my friend had beef brisket pulled noodle soup at Yummy Lanzhou. They were different from Nanzhou in that:
1. Clearer broth with less spicing (it was a very clean beef flavor, but not much else)
2. All tables had their housemade preserved mustard greens and white vinegar, which I prefer for its sharper acidic bite.
3. Better mala flavor in their mala pig ears appetizer.
4. The brisket was terrible: cut, quality of beef, and its cooking.
I ordered pulled noodles with stomach and my friend had beef noodle soup at Nanzhou, where we found a more flavorful broth with warming spices (lots of five spice, especially heavy with star anise). Other positive differences:
1. Their protein found more favor with my friend.
2. Their pig ears appetizer is a HUGE plate and a good value, but the flavoring is not as good as Yummy's. The pickled daikon radish and carrot slaw were enjoyable though.
There's some new signage where Pho 75 is/was (?). Would anyone know anything about that? IIRC, it looks like another Lanzhou noodle shop...