Seeking restaurant around 42nd and Fifth or Sixth...
Need a reasonable dinner spot- will be too late for pre-theater pre fixe! Does anyone have recs for friends who like American food and some ethnic foods. Can walk north and east for your suggestions...
In addition to the suggestion of Szechuan Gourmet, if you would like to walk a bit further, there's excellent Korean barbecue at Madangsui on 35 St. between 5th and 6th, and it will be open late. I don't know what you mean by "reasonable," though; good Korean barbecue is not cheap in Manhattan (mid to upper 20s per portion, but with a great and massive banchan to accompany).
35 W 35th St, New York, NY 10001
Which ethnic foods? Szechuan Gourmet is 3 blocks away from there. Try these:
2. OX Tongue & Tripe** with roasted chili-peanut vinaigrette
4. Sliced Pork Belly* with chilli-garlic soy
19. Spicy Cucumber Salad*
21. Dan Dan Noodles * with chili minced pork
23. Szechuan Pork Dumpling* with roasted chili soy
50. Crispy Lamb Filets * with chili cumin
60. Chef's Ma Paul Tofu *** with chili minced pork
21 W 39th St, New York, NY 10018