HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What have you made lately?

curious: how do they put a photo on a cake?

escargot3 Mar 12, 2012 12:55 PM

i see this at parties, but i have no idea what the process is, and what kind of ink is used.
Anyone know how it's done?

  1. m
    maxie Mar 12, 2012 01:23 PM

    To continue Kelli's answer, the cartridge contains edible ink, which is essentially food coloring. The "paper" is edible starch -- potato or rice, similar to what you may find on European or Japanese confections.

    1 Reply
    1. re: maxie
      escargot3 Mar 12, 2012 07:25 PM

      oh i get it. thanks.

    2. k
      Kelli2006 Mar 12, 2012 01:16 PM

      It is an edible transfer that is applied to the cake. You can print them at home with the proper paper and ink or you can order the transfer from a scanned photo and apply them yourself.

      Show Hidden Posts