Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Mar 5, 2012 06:42 AM

If a cake recipe calls for "Crisco"

does that mean vegetable shortening? or can i use vegetable oil instead?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Crisco does mean vegetable shortening. I wouldn't swap them out, as shortening has a different melting point than plain oil.

    1. Use vegetable shortening. When a baking recipe calls for shortening or butter and shortening, they are looking for a particular texture. If you want to substitute it, use butter. This will still change the texture slightly but not as much oil and it will taste better.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Hank Hanover

        Thanks! I will use butter and hope for the best.

      2. You can also substitute lard for shortening.

        1 Reply
        1. re: rasputina

          or coconut oil, solid at room temp.